2022 NALT Concept Space
Redesigned for the machine age as part of the Library's "NALT for the Machine Age" initiative, NALT 2022 is a state-of-the-art multischeme concept space with added structural features for enhanced scalability and machine readability.
2022 Inaugural Schemes
- "NALT Core", a trim NALT subscheme with just 13,791 frequently used agricultural concepts including 4,396 agriculturally important organisms (taxa), and structural updates (see below) for a lean and efficient machine readable agricultural knowledge base.
- "NALT Full", all NALT concepts - NALT Core plus over 48,000 additional agricultural related organisms (taxa) and several thousand less frequently used concepts for a total of 76,933 concepts. NALT Full is a more granular knowledge base.
New NALT 2022 Structural Features
- Streamlined top concepts reflect USDA programs and services to support data linkages, transparency, and enhance agriculture research and information discoverability.
- Animals, Livestock, One Health
- Economics, Trade, Law, Business, Industry
- Farms, Agricultural Production Systems
- Fields of Study
- Forestry, Wildland Management
- Geographical Locations
- Human Nutrition, Food Safety and Quality
- Natural Resources, Conservation, Environment
- Plant Production, Gardening
- Research, Technology, Methods
- Rural Development, Communities, Education, Extension
- Taxonomic Hierarchy
- Maintained natively as linked data graph, also known as knowledge graph (SKOS concept scheme).
- Knowledge graph enables linked open data mappings across the internet, harnessing the power of the semantic web.
- Mapping to other resources - Library of Congress Subject Headings, CAB Thesaurus, AGROVOC, Global Agricultural Concept Space (GACS), and Wikidata. NALT 2022 mappings have increased since last year by 70% to 50,275.
- NALT persistent uniform resource identifiers (URIs) are upgraded to HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure), ensuring secure access to NALT concept descriptions. Legacy HTTP NALT URIs are currently supported by redirects.
- NALT concept types (Organism, Chemical, Product, Geographical, Topic) express the most salient features of the concept space.
- Product-to-organism and the reverse relationships are added to capture deeper knowledge of agricultural production from farm to fork.
- New backend workflows, protocols, and tools to add new subschemes, and for improved, routine validation, consistency, and quality checking.
- The NAL project "NALT for the Machine Age" along with interested agricultural subject matter expert communities, is working to create additional subschemes within the NALT concept space.
- Can I download NALT Core, or NALT Full?
Yes! Please visit the downloads page.
- Can I search NALT Core or NALT Full?
Yes! Click here to search NALT subchemes.