The National Agricultural Library's Agricultural Thesaurus and Glossary are online vocabulary tools of agricultural terms in English and Spanish and are cooperatively produced by the National Agricultural Library, USDA, and the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture as well as other Latin American agricultural institutions belonging to the Agriculture Information and Documentation Service of the Americas (SIDALC). NAL Thesaurus is used to select controlled vocabulary terms for subject indexing of AGRICOLA, PubAg and other databases.
- Annual update each January since 2002
- Spanish/English parallel bilingual versions
- Available mapped as Linked Open Data
- In depth coverage of agriculture, biology and related disciplines
- Contains over 265,498 terms, including 153,006 descriptors in English and Spanish
- Glossary of definitions for technical terms
- Regional terms of Latin American Countries
- Download in XML, RDF-SKOS, PDF and DOC formats
- 24/7 accessibility since 2002
- Browsable by 17 subject categories,
e.g., "Food and Human Nutrition"
The thesaurus aims to make available standard terms used in rice production and ultimately, to facilitate the search and retrieval of rice information.
The glossary is part of the larger work, Silvics of North America, which describes the silvicultural characteristics of about 200 conifer and hardwood trees in the United States, Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.
The glossary, published in 1976 and reprinted in 2004, remains the most comprehensive glossary of natural resources planning terminology used by resource specialists and planners around the world.